Man has arm amputated after eating sushi
Something fishy going on
© Getty Images
Are you a sushi lover? Think again before you continue reading. According to The Sun, a South Korean man had his hand and forearm got amputated after eating sushi.
The 71- year- old man was overwhelmed with unbearable pain in his hand the day after eating the raw fish. When he went to the hospital two days later his hand had turned pink and swollen. The hand was covered with enormous blood-filled sac and fluid-filled lumps. Immediately he was referred to the surgery department.
Tests revealed that the man was infected with vibrio vulnificus, a flesh-eating bacteria found in salty water. People can get infected with the bacteria when eating seafood or having an open wound exposed to the bacteria.
The man was treated with antibiotics, but because he suffered from diabetes, his immune system has been affected and the medication didn't help. Meanwhile, the infection was spreading through his body and there was no other way to stop it than to amputate his hand and forearm. Yikes!
Do you still crave that sushi?
CELEBRITY michael jackson
Celebs who have defended Michael Jackson
CELEBRITY Academy Awards
Flashback Friday: iconic photos from Oscars past
Selfies on canvas: Self-portraits of great artists
Countries with the highest and lowest levels of corruption
'Fast and Furious': the thrilling story so far
30-day challenges that will change your life
TRAVEL Chrysler building
Hubcaps, eagles, and sunbursts: The Chrysler Building exposed
The enviable style of celebrity couple Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady
This glacial lake hides a dark secret
Fatal fungi and other deadly mushrooms