Man has arm amputated after eating sushi
Something fishy going on
© Getty Images
Are you a sushi lover? Think again before you continue reading. According to The Sun, a South Korean man had his hand and forearm got amputated after eating sushi.
The 71- year- old man was overwhelmed with unbearable pain in his hand the day after eating the raw fish. When he went to the hospital two days later his hand had turned pink and swollen. The hand was covered with enormous blood-filled sac and fluid-filled lumps. Immediately he was referred to the surgery department.
Tests revealed that the man was infected with vibrio vulnificus, a flesh-eating bacteria found in salty water. People can get infected with the bacteria when eating seafood or having an open wound exposed to the bacteria.
The man was treated with antibiotics, but because he suffered from diabetes, his immune system has been affected and the medication didn't help. Meanwhile, the infection was spreading through his body and there was no other way to stop it than to amputate his hand and forearm. Yikes!
Do you still crave that sushi?
Prepare yourself for lots of British royal cuteness
CELEBRITY Celebrity deaths
John Singleton and other celebrities who've passed away in 2019
How much are your favorite Hollywood stars being paid?
LIFESTYLE Natural disaster
Cyclones to tsunamis: some of the worst natural disasters of this millennium
Famous sites to see before they disappear from the Earth
The food industry's biggest scandals
LIFESTYLE Security alerts
Secret code words you're not supposed to know
Strict rules celebs have for their kids
Celebs who've gone to prom with fans
LIFESTYLE Plane crashes
Miraculous stories of plane crash survivors